Water Damage Do’s and Don’ts
The recent rains have helped us Los Angelenos work towards getting out of what has been one of the worst droughts in California history. Although we love seeing it rain around here and with more rain in the forecast for later this week, we are also very aware that with this uptick in precipitation, so does the chance for water damage occurring. If you find yourself in a situation where suddenly rain water that was falling from the sky is now rising from the ground and entering your home or business, keep these helpful Do’s and Don’ts in mind to avoid unnecessary additional water damage.
THE DO’S OF WATER DAMAGE
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting
- Wipe excess water damage from wood furniture after removal of lamps and table top items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for even drying
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying (in summer)
- Remove Oriental rugs or other colored rugs from wet wall-to-wall carpeting
- Remove valuable paintings and art objects to a safe, dry place
- Open and place luggage, in sunlight to dry, if possible
- Gather loose items, toys, etc. from floors
THE DON’TS OF WATER DAMAGE
- Leave wet fabrics in place; dry as soon as possible. Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature
- Leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors
- Use a standard vacuum to remove water
- Use TVs or other major appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water
For additional ways to better safeguard your home or business during a disaster, check out our SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale Tips page on our website and learn about other cool tidbits of professional advice!
We sincerely hope these experiences never happen to you but if they do we are standing by to help, 24 hours a day/7 days a week, and can be reached at (818) 790-2021.