Water Damage Prevention
Water damage is a very unfortunate and stressful situation. All it takes is one leaky pipe and your valuables could be ruined. Water damage is one of the most common problems for homeowners, but a few simple steps can help protect your home or condo and your belongings.
To help keep your home dry, consider the following tips:
- Protect valuables: Irreplaceable documents, photographs and valuables should be stored in waterproof bags or containers. Reduce the risk of electrical shock by picking up electrical cords and extension cords lying on the ground.
- Look up: Check around windows, skylights, air vents and chimneys for leaks and repair them. Make sure your home’s downspouts extend at least 1.8 m (6 ft.) from the building.
- Check floor drains and sump pumps: Keep floor drains clear and remove any materials that could clog them. If you have a sump pump, inspect it to ensure it works.
- Install window well covers: Consider installing window well covers to keep window wells free from debris and pooling water.
- Inspect the roof: Inspect it for any missing or worn shingles: Replace the shingles and consider hiring a professional roofer to check your roof and complete any maintenance required.
- Turn the water off before going away: Make sure all water usage is turned off to prevent any mishaps.
We sincerely hope these experiences never happen to you but if they do we are standing by to help, SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley/Glendale available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, and can be reached at (818) 790-2021